October 13, 2010

pendants are big in ohio

Part of the fun of working in fashion PR in New York City is getting the chance to attend fabulous parties and events that wouldn’t happen anywhere else, and last night I was lucky enough to attend Cosmo’s 51 Hottest Bachelors of 2010 party!  As I remembered from my intern days in Cosmo’s special events department, this is quite the celebration.  

Every year, our editor friends at Cosmo choose one eligible bachelor from each state (plus DC!) and crown one of them bachelor of the year.  It’s like Miss America for guys – only better since they all seemed genuinely happy for Ryan from Ohio who was this year’s lucky winner.  
Here's Ryan!

While at the party, which as Carrie Bradshaw would put it, was “like the Bermuda Triangle for women,” I needed an excuse to strike up a conversation with these gorgeous guys.  As it so often happens, my thoughts turned to what else – fashion!  So, my question of night- in true Cosmo style- was, “What is the sexiest piece of jewelry a woman can wear?” 

The guys were happy to give their opinions and I was surprised by some of the responses.  I talked to 22 of the 51 (I’d say I did pretty well in three hours!) and here is what I found out from my “research” – did I mention how much I love my job?!  
Me with Michigan and New Mexico,
the very first bachelors who helped with our survey.  
Check them all out here and pick up Cosmo’s November issue on stands today!

A simple pendant necklace because it draws attention to the neckline… and um, other areas… was the number one answer (and Ryan’s choice)!  As a fan of big statement jewelry and piling on lots of bangles at once (not surprising since I work for one of the best costume jewelry designers in the industry) I’m considering sporting something like this more often… 
Jewelry, Ben-Amun by Isaac Manevitz.
Available at Max and Chloe.
“Dangling earrings” as the guys put it, was another popular answer.  I think they would love these gold chandeliers…
 
Jewelry, Ben-Amun by Isaac Manevitz.
Available at Ben-Amun.com.

A few of the guys including Mr. Alaska, who asked that he only be referred to as “the Mr. Alaska” from now on, and Luke our resident jewelry expert who told me of his high school days working at a jewelry store in Idaho, surprisingly noted a belly button ring.  No offense to them, but I thought this trend went out with Kurt Cobain and starter jackets!  But since most of the 90’s trends are back in full swing maybe I’ll see if Isaac has any interest in branching into body jewelry (I won’t hold my breath though).

Mr. Illinois complimented my Ben-Amun chain link and rhinestone necklaces and thought that fancy and elegant necklaces were a great look on any girl. How flattering!
 
Jewelry, Ben-Amun by Isaac Manevitz.
Available by phone at (212) 944-6480.

Simple solitaire studs were another popular answer.  Surprisingly enough Mr. Nevada who lives close to Las Vegas where excess is expected, likes how classy and elegant they look on a woman.  (Maybe he should think about moving to the east coast, I’m sure none of us would mind!)

Overall I think my favorite answer was… drum roll please… a wedding ring!  How sweet is Chris from DC?!  What a lucky gal his future wife will be.  Isaac doesn’t dabble in diamond engagement rings or wedding bands but we do love this simple emerald one and would love to receive something like this from our boyfriend!
 
This is Chris!
  Jewelry, Ben-Amun by Isaac Manevitz.
Available by phone at (212) 944-6480.

Lastly, a few thought that anything of sentimental value or something that he gave her as a gift was sexy.  Alex from Massachusetts showed us a pendant from his mom and told of it’s meaning to him.

Maybe that’s why jewelry plays such a strong part in relationships as Emily noted the other day – remember Richard Gere’s face when Julia put on the ruby jewels?!  Or every woman’s face when she’s presented with an engagement ring or places a ring on her new husband’s finger?  Diamonds are a girl’s best friend but I think it’s what the diamonds represent that hold the deeper meaning. (Pretty philosophical for staying up way past my bedtime on a Tuesday, huh?).  




No comments:

Post a Comment